Saturday, October 22, 2016

Alabama is a monster and Vegas can't make big enough spreads for it

You know, it’s probably fitting that I keep putting up 2-5 weeks. That is, after all, Notre Dame’s record after seven, horrible, no good, awful games.

The Irish are on a bye this week, getting a chance to reset as they get ready for their final five games -- all somehow winnable and loseable at the same time -- and the reality that a bowl game is less than likely.

I do not get a bye week, but perhaps I should use this off week for the team that I’ve rooted for since childhood to have my own personal reset.

Or not. Who knows. I’m 22-26, and maybe just not that great?

All that being said, take all of your hard earned money and make the following bets this week!

Wisconsin (-3.5) at Iowa

Hmm. Hmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. This line is interesting because Wisconsin has two losses on the season against Top 5 teams, both by a touchdown. Iowa, meanwhile, struggled with Rutgers and has lost to an FCS school (albeit, the best FBS school, but still), and Northwestern. Is Vegas banking on a hangover for the Badgers? Does it not trust the offense at Kinnick? Does it just feel bad for me and want to give me a freebie? My guess is the first two are much more likely than the last one. But this is when I do that thing where I talk myself out of not falling for a Vegas trap, which has been such a great strategy so far this year. Pick: Wisconsin.

North Carolina (-9.5) at Virginia

North Carolina is good, folks. Virginia is not. And Virginia doesn’t have the type of homefield advantage that would make this closer than a double-digit Tar Heel win. Pick: North Carolina.

Colorado at Stanford (-2)

Did Stanford right the ship last week against Notre Dame, or did it play a really bad Notre Dame team that was made worse by a coach floundering for answers and benching his NFL quarterback for three straight possessions? Pick: Colorado.

TCU at West Virginia (-6.5)

Things I know to be true: When I pick TCU to win, it loses and doesn’t cover. This, of course, means that I have to pick West Virginia in this game. Don’t bother putting any logic into your thoughts on what you just read. Pick: West Virginia.

Texas A&M at Alabama (-18.5)

At this point, we can all agree that the only way Alabama loses is if the entire team gets struck with food poisoning and the symptoms kick in on the opening kick and last all the way through the game. Only last three quarters? Bama will come back and win in the fourth. Don’t start until the second quarter? Bama will get up by enough in the first quarter to stay ahead the rest of the way. Only hit the offense? The defense has scored 11 touchdowns. ELEVEN. I think that 18.5 is a huge line in a game between top 6 teams, but I just can’t pick against the Tide right now, not matter the spread. Pick: Alabama.

Ohio State (-19.5) at Penn State

This line crept up to 21 before settling in at just under three TDs. I have a feeling Ohio State will be out to prove something in this one, but 19.5 points at night in Happy Valley in front of a white out crowd? That seems like a lot. I could see a 31-14 type win, which is a dominant road win, but doesn’t cover the spread. Pick: Penn State.

Ole Miss at LSU (-7.5)

I understand that Ed Orgeron has woken LSU up, but let’s not get too excited about wins against Missouri and Southern Mississippi. Yes, they were blowout wins and the offense looked very good, something that hasn’t been said about LSU in a long time, but the Florida game that was postponed would have given us a better idea of how good this LSU team actually is. As it stands, I still don’t think the Tigers are better than Ole Miss, and certainly not by more than a touchdown. Pick: Ole Miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment