Friday, September 9, 2016

Paul's Week 2 College Football Picks: This is a less than ideal week for college football

You’re welcome.

If you followed my advice on the seven games I predicted in Week 1, you went 6-1 and you can now quit your job, buy that lake house you’ve always wanted and send your children to college.

So, again, you’re welcome.

This week, you will need to be gambling in order to be entertained by this putrid slate of games. I suppose after an incredible Week 1, complaining about Week 2 is just being greedy. But c’mon. Not a single game between ranked teams? I did manage to find six spreads I felt like tackling, and one over/under that was begging for some action.

Arkansas at No. 15 TCU (-7.5)

In Week 14, Arkansas is going to have at least one win against a top 10 team, and some close games against other highly-ranked opponents and we’re going to wonder, “how the hell is this team 7-5?” Well, because Bret Bielema thinks the season starts in October. Pick: TCU.

North Carolina (-9) at Illinois

Lovie Smith had an impressive opener against Murray State, but I’m going to hold off on the Illini returning to the glory days of Kurt Kittner. No, really. Those were Illinois’ glory days. Kurt Kittner. North Carolina is better, and will win this game behind Elijah Hood. Nine is a tough line, but I see the Tar Heels clearing the bar by double digits. Pick: North Carolina.

BYU at Utah (-3)

Taysom Hill owns a pair of Curry 2 Lows. Pick: BYU.

Virginia Tech vs. No. 17 Tennessee (-11.5)

This line feels like a trap. Virginia Tech is a name and Tennessee probably should’ve lost to Appalachian State last week on ESPN in primetime. So we’re supposed to look at this and say, “Tennessee is overrated, and Virginia Tech is gonna be back under Fuente!” Easy money, right? Eh, probably not. Tennessee has a significant talent edge in this one, and I think Week 1 was more of a wake up call than a glimpse into the future of its season. Pick: Tennessee.

Penn State at Pittsburgh (-6)

I don’t like either of these teams. I do like Pat Narduzzi much more than I like James Franklin, though. Pick: Pitt.

Iowa State at No. 16 Iowa (-15)

Remember a week ago when I told you that it was bad to pick with your heart and then went ahead and picked Notre Dame (even though my head said it, too), and that was my only loss? Well, this is a bit different, but I’m still probably going to regret it. I love Matt Campbell. Not because he’s ever done anything for any team I’ve ever rooted for, but because I think he’s going to be incredible. Sure, Iowa State lost to Northern Iowa last week, and this game is at Kinnick, at night. But something tells me Iowa State finds a way to keep this semi-close. Pick: Iowa State.

Wake Forest at Duke (O/U 44.5)

Jesus Christ why would you ever think of taking the over in a game Wake Forest was playing in? And 44.5? Are you kidding me? Duke is only a five-point favorite in this game, meaning Vegas thinks Wake Forest is going to score at least 20 points. It scored seven at home against Tulane in Week 1. Wake Forest isn’t exactly the automatic under Boston College -- with the top defense in the country combined with a bottom five offense -- was, but it’s pretty damn close. Pick: Under.

No comments:

Post a Comment